Hard to believe, but we’re up here in Sunlight and getting geared up for the 2018 season. We wanted to give you a little updated on our winter projects (which are nearing completion), the opening of the ranch and a preview of the 2018 season.
Winter project update:
- The addition to Waldorf is just about completed! We couldn’t be happier with the result (pictured below). As one of our bigger cabins, it will be great that Waldorf now has a spacious sitting area (similar to Big Buffalo and Fireplace) so that families have a place to sit and relax together. There’s a wood-burning stove (which would be perfect for chilly rainy days like today) and big windows to look out to the mountains. The interior walls are now wallpaper free (hooray!) and covered nicely in wood paneling.
- It’s been a lot of fun to see the staff’s reaction to the newly redone sheep wagons! These wagons have been around for awhile, so it’s been great to see all of the memorabilia, old photos and other knickknacks that have been found along the way from previous years. We’ve had numerous comments on Facebook posts from previous staff that have great memories of living here during their summers in the 90s and 2000s (and are slightly jealous of those that are benefiting from the new floors, insulation and interior of the “new” wagons….). We hope that our staff enjoys the summer living in these beautiful shwagons!
2018 Season Opening & Preview:
- The weather has, overall, been pretty kind to us since we moved up here – no snow (yet — knock on wood). This time last year we had already gotten a little bit of snow which definitely made for some interesting days and getting to all of the cabins. We’ve been getting a bunch of rain, however, which sure makes Muck Boots come in handy!
- Staff – we are fortunate to have 11 returning staff members and a number of new people joining our staff this summer which we are very excited about. It is such a testament to the 7D that we have people that want to come back year after year to work with us. It just happened that because of different life circumstances, some of our longtime staff had to move on to other great things. Our new staff hails from Wisconsin, South Carolina, WYOMING, South Dakota, Ohio, Massachusetts, Oregon, Georgia….and more!
- This upcoming season proves to be a busy one! We are just about completely full — with 4 smaller cabins available through the season (June 10-17, July 1-8 and 2 for the week of August 19-26) — so let us know if you’re up for coming out for a week.
We had a great all staff hike after dinner on Monday evening – we got to the top in time to see the sunset and took some time to soak in the scenery (before the sun completely went down and things got chilly) — we even found this amazing ewe skull not far from Dewey Dominick’s memorial stone.
That’s all for now – we look forward to a great season ahead and will keep you updated as things move along!